There’s a fun-loving holiday coming up and all kinds of events going on here in ‘The Wood.’ Here are our top picks…
Labor Day is an annual holiday to celebrate the contributions of workers to the prosperity of the country. Basically a day off and a pat on the back for working so hard all year. Well done chaps!
It’s also a federal holiday here in the US – which means a nice, long, three-day weekend for most of us – yippee! Always observed on the first Monday of September, it falls on 4th September this year – that’s this weekend coming folks!
Although autumn doesn’t officially start until September 22nd – for most Americans Labor day unofficially marks the end of summer. All the kids go back to school about now and for many it’s considered the last chance to really let your hair down before it’s back to the grindstone.
So what are you waiting for? This fun-loving holiday is about to come calling and there are all kinds of exciting things going on here in ‘The Wood.’ Hit a pool party or two, take the family to the beach, catch a ballgame…. it’s your last hurrah, so go for it! Here are some of our fun suggestions:
• Los Angeles County Fair – The LA County Fair kicks off on Labor Day weekend and runs until the 24th. There’s so much going on – live music, rides, livestock, gardening and gadgets galore.
When? Fri-Mon Sept 1-24, 2017, Fri noon – midnight, Sat-Sun 10 am to midnight, Mon 10 am – 10 pm
Where? The Fairplex in Pomona, 1101 W. McKinley Ave, Pomona, CA 91768, off the 10 Freeway, exit Fairplex Drive or White Ave.
Cost (Labor Day Weekend): $20 adult, $12 child 6-12, $15 senior, Free 5 and under. Season pass $29.99.
Parking: $15 General, $25 VIP/Gate 17, 9, $30 Valet at gate 3
Link: LA County Fair Guide
• Baseball: Let’s Go to A Ballgame – On Labor Day Weekend, The Dodgers will take on the Arizona Diamondbacks for a game you won’t want to miss. Regarded as one of the best teams, The Dodgers are having a historic season and are set to break the record for the most wins during the regular season. Head to Chavez Ravine and see the boys in blue take on the Diamondbacks.
When? September 4, 2017
Where? Dodger Stadium
1000 Vin Scully Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90012
• LA Fleet Week – Los Angeles Fleet Week is a celebration of the US Armed Forces that takes place for four days over Labor Day Weekend at the Port of Los Angeles in San Pedro. It features public ship tours of active Navy and Coast Guard ships (reservations available online), aerial demos, military equipment demos, resource village for active military and veterans, STEM Expo, live music, food trucks and other festivities.
When? Friday to Monday of Labor Day Weekend with a Thursday night kickoff party
Where? LA Waterfront. The main event is near the LA World Cruise Terminal, but ships will also be at Downtown Harbor; and at the end of Miner Street in San Pedro.
Cost: Mostly free, reduced admission to SS Lane Victory and USS Iowa Battleship Museum
• Long Beach Greek Festival – Live music by the Olympians, exhibit dancing and social dancing, Greek food and product booths, children’s games.
When? Labor Day Weekend, Sat-Mon, noon – 9 pm
Where? Assumption Greek Orthodox Church, 5761 E. Colorado St, Long Beach 90814
Cost: $3, children 11 and under free
• The Taste – This food and wine extravaganza, sponsored by the LA Times and Food & Wine, includes 5 different culinary events. This year all 5 events are at Paramount Pictures Studios in Hollywood.
When? Friday to Sunday of Labor Day Weekend, Opening Friday, Two events each Sat and Sun
Where? Paramount Pictures Studios, 5555 Melrose Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90038
Cost: Advance $100-$150 per event, discount with LA Times Membership, weekend pass $300.
• Football: USC Trojans vs. Western Michigan Broncos – Head to the Coliseum with the entire family or just those in your family who love sports. The USC Trojans will take on the Western Michigan Broncos for their home opener on Labor Day Weekend!
When? September 2
Where? L.A. Coliseum
11 S Figueroa St
Los Angeles, CA 90037
• Cinecon Classic Film Festival – A 5-day celebration of movies, specializing in rare, unusual and unjustly forgotten movies from the silent and early sound era. It features screenings of over 30 classic films, celebrity guests and film book and movie memorabilia shows. Most films are screened in 35mm and silent films include live piano accompaniment.
When? Labor Day Weekend, Thursday – Monday
Where? The Egyptian Theatre, 6712 Hollywood Blvd, LA 90028; Banquet and film book and Memorabilia Shows are at the Loews Hollywood (formerly Hollywood Renaissance) Hotel.
Cost: Day Passes (including all films that day) are $30 Thursday, $40 Friday through Monday, $150 Festival Pass.
• The Wet Carnival – The Queen Mary is bringing Wet Carnival event to fans again this year. Wet will light up 3 decks aboard the Queen Mary with top notch EDM music. Featuring live music, DJ’s, and dancing on the water, the Wet Carnival is sure to be a blast. There will be performances by Viceroy, EC Twins, Michael Sparks, LZRD and TWRK! In addition to some of the best electronic music around, Wet will include a fusion of fun and flirty cocktails and a fun atmosphere set with the most amazing view of the Pacific Ocean while you dance the night away.
When? September 2
Where? Queen Mary
1126 Queens Highway
Long Beach, CA 90802
• Football: UCLA Bruins vs. Texas A&M Aggies – On Labor Day Weekend, The UCLA Bruins will also be playing their season home opener. On Sunday, September 3rd, The Rose Bowl and the UCLA Bruins will host the Texas A&M Aggies for a game you won’t want to miss!
When? September 3
Where? The Rose Bowl Stadium
1001 Rose Bowl Dr
Pasadena, CA 91103